Sunday, December 2, 2012

Healthy Post-Secondary Classrooms


 At the beginning of my graduate degree choice, I was 100% certain I wanted to teach Higher Education (post secondary). Throughout these past five months, I met many other students who have made my “clear path” blurry. I am now torn between wanting to teach ETEC college classes, and becoming an elementary school librarian. These are two polar opposite jobs! After this semester, I will be lacking two classes to complete my degree. I have checked with advisors and my best path (financially and educationally) is to graduate and then get my library certification. I could change my mind by May, and not spend money (7 classes worth) on a certificate that I might never use. For the purpose of identifying trends with instructional design and technology, I will focus mainly on higher education.
The health professions follow an altruistic outline for caregivers called the Hippocratic Oath. When teaching college students, students who PAY for their education, I feel that an oath similar to this could be beneficial in student productivity and communication.
 
The Hippocratic Oath was put in place for healthcare professionals to maintain a set Code of Conduct. The oath provides guidelines for people who have chosen healthcare careers to abide in order for their patients to feel as comfortable, trusting and respected as possible. The main focus of these guidelines is to hold the professionals accountable for their actions and teach them that they need to have strong interpersonal and communications skills in order to perform their job completely.
In a post-secondary classroom, a professor could not only uphold a set of rules such as these, but post them online (or discuss them) the first day of class. The student could sign or e-sign a contract stating that they will be constructive and compassionate towards their classmates. Many students are afraid (in K-12 as well) of interacting with others or the teacher in classrooms. They are afraid of rejection, or being misunderstood. In many situations, it is easier to stay silent than offer an opinion.

 
The fuel behind learning, is interaction. This is a critical element that cannot be left out of classrooms, digital especially! The class oath would be inviting and uplifting, and the teacher would be expected to abide by it as well. In healthcare professions, prior to becoming a “professional,” students are taught the techniques of “care”. In my classroom, students would be TAUGHT how to interact. I would be very involved in the classroom discussions and maybe even organize and the first study group. The professors have to be the leaders of character and expected actions in the educational environment. Etiquette is the key that many people forget until it might be too late, and hurtful criticism has been spewed.     
 
.. These are just a few thoughts and ideas I am excited to explore and refine. J

3 comments:

  1. I agree with you that students should also sign a contract that pertains to how they will participate and cooperate with one another in the classroom setting. I think that when people work together in order to achieve a common goal, that more gets accomplished rather than everyone working alone.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to apologize for the late response! It has been a super busy week! I really enjoyed reading your post! I thought that your idea for an oath or code of some sort for higher education students was a wonderful idea! I must also say that you are so right about the driving force behind learning is interaction. It is important that we teach our students, even the grown up kind  the proper ways to interact with one another!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Our district has a contract that the parents and student sign. It is never brought up again once it has been turned in. I think we should bring it up and in a way, keep it in their faces to remind them of the commitment they have made. Maybe it would help them to at least try to adhere to the rules and follow directions. I think we should do the same with the parents. I have a student whose parents have blocked my number! Seriously? I really don't understand this at all. This is a student who is not motivated at all to do anything. He didn't do anything last year and was placed because he had failed before. He told him he is going to prove me wrong, do nothing, and still pass. There should be way more accountability on the parental side.

    ReplyDelete