Sunday, November 4, 2012

ADDIE: "It's elementary, my dear."

Educational technology is a term that can be defined many different ways to each person. I look at it as more of an evolving process. Since education and technology are ever-changing, the definition cannot be concrete. My current definition is that educational technology is more of a learner centered process that develops with the aid of technology. This process can be student (individually driven trial/error) led or educator led (guided by someone with prior knowledge of the material). Whenever students of any age are learning any new material, finding technologies associated with the subject matter is imperative. Too much of our present day, and future is controlled by the progression of technology. Everything from daily interaction to the workforce requires (or is benefited by) a knowledge of technology. The progression of definitions in our text supports my idea of there not being a set specific definition for the term/idea. As technology advances, so does our use of it in education. When I started teaching 5 1/2 years ago, there were not too many applications I could use in the classroom. This all changed when schools began to relax their network firewalls and with the rise of smart phones. Not many people had an iPhone, and the districts were scared of the trouble students could get in when accessing internet.



Now, many districts are incredibly relaxed on their cell phone policies and many teachers allow use of cell phones when working on projects. I taught a mixed level high school class 3 years ago and gave the students many option/ideas on presenting their final project. For comfort reasons, I allowed them to use PowerPoint, but reminded them it would have to "knock my socks off" in order to receive an A- an average power point was going to receive an 80 on our grading rubric. A different option I gave my students was to make a video on their cell phones and email it to my school account after it was edited. The kids were thrilled that I was allowing them to pull their phones out and film during class times. I reminded the kids to be creative and find newer, free apps to edit the video. The project outline they tuned in also had to include which application they used to edit and the process/time it took. Finally they reviewed the application and their own final video. After all the projects were turned in (90% chose the video route), I showed my principal and he was so impressed that he put his favorite 2 in our next staff development meeting and allowed me to explain what we did. I, along with my students, was thrilled about the success of this project.
 **This lesson was 100% learner centered and goal oriented. It also focused on a meaningful performance and was very self-correcting. Even though this was a team effort, I feel the outcome could have been measured differently for the groups. The project had a rubric, but some of the grading scale was participation and I allowed them to grade each other. Usually, and in my previous experience, this approach allows the students to be anonymously honest.... but I found that for this project, they must have enjoyed themselves so much that most teams gave each other a 100% participation grade. I am choosing to believe I just had an AMAZING group who really did all equally share the responsibilities :).**

Dr. Robert A. Reiser has chosen to follow the viewpoint [along with others] that teachers, chalkboards and textbooks are not considered instructional media. I disagree with his choice. I feel teachers, or facilitators, will always be instructional media. We instruct our students how to use different technologies, or at least facilitate the search for them. The literal, and dated, terms "textbook" and "chalkboard" have been replaced with eBooks and dry erase whiteboards. The eBooks is still a text, and the whiteboard allows classes to use an integrated system to link the whiteboard and the projector. I believe the purpose of instructional design is not to incorporate media into instruction, but instead to use it to increase learning by doing. By adding media into the classroom lesson, the students are more responsible for their own learning. This gives even the youngest a sense of empowerment.


4 comments:

  1. I liked the way you correlated education and technology. I agree with you that both are always evolving and changing. Educational technology is defined by the educational theory, method, and media available in that point in time. I find that there is a "circle-of-life" process in the field of education. What was old is new again but called differently. For example in Special Education paperwork the label of Mental Retardation was changed several years ago to Learning Disability but starting this year it is now Intellectual Disability. The disability is the same but what it is called and the criteria that defined changed over time to reflect the appropriateness of the times. I could see by the examples in the book why the definition of educational technology was what it was during the different decades. For the record I loved your idea of letting students use their cell phones for a lesson project. By providing a rubric showing that it would give them a better opportunity to make an A it gave them a good nudge to take that route. Being apprehensive with technology I would have opted to do a PPT but if I had you for that lesson I would have definitely gone the cell phone route. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Crystal, since we are grouped together in ETEC 587, I'm going to assume it to be alright to start a little professional debate here. I enjoyed reading your commentary about the definition of instructional technology. And I agree that your view is certainly supported by the changes in the interations of the definition over time. However, I am concerned about effect that the fluidity of the definition has on the average educator. I wonder if the loosely bound parameters of the definition might frustrate teachers who find it difficult to hit such an ever moving target. There are certainly those educators who have a hard enough time separating or distinguishing the definition of instructional media and the definition of instructional technology - inevitably finding that they collapse the 2 into one - and finding that they are actually defining instructional technology as instructional media. (I actually know MANY educators that have fallen into this trap, some of which are leaders in instructional technology!) The ramification of this phenomenon is that these educators begin thinking in terms of the "stuff" rather than in terms of the processes, goals, effects, and outcomes of the instruction. So, you can see my quandry... I wonder if we wouldn't be better served by a more rigid and lasting definition of instructional technology, one which remains valid even as certain independent variables, such as the definition of instructional media, changes. Just a thought...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chuck, **BRING IT ON**

      Just kidding- I love opposing views! This is how we learn from each other and understand others!
      I 100% see your points, and agree that it might be easier for others to have tighter parameters to work in. I am not one of those people :) After teaching in a public high school for 5 years, that is one of the main problems I had with the education system. I am very abstract and creative, and have found that it helps keeps others interested and on their toes. Teaching inside of a box is not for me... and I feel this has really helped me define my views on being an educator. I believe all educators learn and instruct differently, and that is why we should work together and bounce ideas off each other- open each other's eyes... I agree with your argument, and it will stay in the back of my head. If an educator ever asks me for help, and they need the boundaries, I am open to that. I (personally) just cannot have such tight boundaries. ;)

      Delete
  3. I agree with your statment that finding technologies associated with the subject matter is imperative. I would say that technology needs to be student and instructionally appropriate. Your project sounded like it was both. I also agree with your stance that teachers, chalkboards and textbooks are considered instructional media. The teacher is the main facilitator in the classroom. You can have all the technology in the world, the best of the best, but you must have a teacher in the classroom to power it.

    ReplyDelete