Sunday, November 11, 2012

Theories and Models of Learning



Epistemology is the study of how we know about, or understand, knowledge. Philosophical researchers are always searching for the depth of human knowledge. How much can any single person know? When does knowledge stop? Are there any limits? Instructional methods, instructional theories, and models of learning are all included in the psychology behind teaching. These concepts/ideas are all dedicated on how to get the learner to LEARN information. Epistemology is focused on knowledge specifically, and not how to "get it into" the learner. There are two MAIN focuses of epistemology, and both focus more on understanding knowledge itself. The positivism perspective believes that knowledge exists regardless of the learner. The relativism perspective believes that the learner constructs the knowledge that exists. All of these theories and designs should be inextricably linked, although they rarely are.

 
Contextual epistemology should fall between positivism and relativism so that knowledge is still separate from the learner, but that it can be independent or created. Contextualists will favor the social constructivist, and their contexts determine whether the knowledge output becomes a truth. A radical constructivist (favoring a Relativist) believes that ALL pieces of knowledge ARE truths, regardless of reality. Positivists lean towards behaviorists who believe learning comes from external stimuli. Positivists believe knowledge (what is being learned) IS external, and separate from the learner.

 
Behaviorists would continue to try and solve a problem until they got it correct (reinforcement). After the problem was solved, the instructor would most likely give feedback, or require peer feedback for constructive criticism. Their learners would be motivated by positive and negative reinforcement. I personally feel this motivation works *briefly* on learners. Too much positive reinforcement becomes a norm, and too much negative reinforcement can have the opposite psychological effects than was desired. Very few educators can employ these reinforcement strategies correctly.

A constructivist might solve problems in a group setting and they would work well with others. Their groups would be question driven and analyze the problem closely. The instructors would verbally support the groups, and have them set goals to be met. After the project is completed the groups would reflect on what and how they are learning. This is (what I feel to be) the best approach for students. Learners need to be hands- on and involved in the learning environment. In groups, students can feed off of one another and are usually motivated by the teacher and their peers for successful completion. Knowledge is gained from the context around them, and they can also create knowledge.


 



4 comments:

  1. Crystal,
    I really like you last paragraph. I think that it captures the way a constructivist thinks and the way learners learn. I find it one of the toughest jobs to motivate my students. Sometimes I need someone to motivate me to motivate them… lol Also I like your clip art, I so feel like that most days!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, Crystal,
    Congratulations on a job well-done. Dr. Dondlinger suggested that I read your posts as examples and I definitely see why. Thank you for your hard work.

    Since getting a better grasp on the concepts, I, too, have found that I am a construtivist (hiding out in a behaviorialist's body). Now that I know that, my next questions are about implementation. Have you tried this approach with your students? Does it seem to work better for particular objectives? Does the approach seem to work better with particular students? I'd love any tips you may have. Currently, I teach engineering, so I use this approach for my "engeineering challenges." It's easy to be a constructivist then. But when else could I use the approach?

    Thanks!
    Toni

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Toni!

      I am first going to assume you are asking about implementing a constructivist approach on day-to-day work other than "challenges." Is this correct?
      "Have you tried this with your students?"
      I am 80% a constructivist, and 20% "mutt" (a blend of many other things). My classes have always been hands-on, and constantly are out of their seats... I like to keep the students on their toes to keep their focus.
      "Does it seem to work better for particular objectives?"
      In my class the number one rule is SUPPORT. This is student to teacher, teacher to student, and student to student. By the end of the semester anyone walking in my room hears tons of praise, the class is very talkative, but appreciates the open approach to learning. They know that we will never have a silent work day, as long as they stay on topic. I tell them at the beginning of the year every question is relevant, and of course they try to challenge that with silly questions (you have to be quick on your feet and ready for these). After the first couple of weeks, the silly questions stop. The important thing is that the kids stop them... because then it's over, and there is a new found respect.
      "Does the approach seem to work better for particular students?"
      Every student learns differently, and I give them different options on attaining the information. When we work in class, it's my way (which has worked well so far), but I do select which kids to partner up for group work. I will strategically put specific kids together based on similar learning styles and opposite personalities. Stronger with weaker, shy with outgoing etc.

      I know this is vague, and I taught History and Health (obviously in different years), but I could probably help more with specific lesson questions. Send me (not too detailed, as I was NOT an engineering teacher :)) upcoming lessons you would like to try different strategies with, and I can give ideas.

      Delete
  3. I like your idea to get students to class on time. However, the pizza idea may get a little too expensive. However, students need to understand that tardiness affects them throughout life. We are teaching life skills. Being on time is a part of our American culture. If you are late, there will be consequences.

    ReplyDelete